Writer R.F. Sanders once described the Church as “A Body or Collection of Persons voluntarily assembled together professing to believe what Christ taught; to do what Christ enjoined; to imitate His example, cherish His Spirit and make known His Gospel to others.” Such was the intent on Thursday, October 4, 1951, when the New Pilgrim Baptist Church became an outgrowth of the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church with Rev. W.H. Black as Pastor and Organizer.
At the suggestion of Deacon Sam Worthy and with the approval of the members, the church was named the New Pilgrim Baptist Church and became a corporation on Saturday, February 11, 1952. The congregation was cordially invited to worship at the Mount Hebron Baptist Church on Ann and Jefferson Streets, but due to an increase in membership, worship services moved to Wayland Baptist Church. The congregation continued to increase and New Pilgrim Baptist Church moved to its first church building at 1601 Rutland Avenue on March 9, 1952.
It is noteworthy that the Rutland Avenue edifice was paid for in four (4) years and the church celebrated a mortgage burning ceremony on Sunday, March 11, 1956. The church moved to its present location at 629 N. Washington Street on Sunday, December 11, 1961.
After the death of Rev. W.H. Black in October, 1974, Rev. Jesse Robert Halsey was elevated from Assistant Pastor to Pastor. He served as Pastor from 1974 to 1982.
In 1982 Rev. Roosevelt Davenport, Sr. was elected as Pastor and faithfully served for 35 years until his death in 2017.
On June 17, 2020, the church elected Rev. Quinton M. Herbert, Jr. as the fourth pastor of New Pilgrim Baptist Church. We are looking forward with great expectation for the Lord to continue to grow the church through the gifted ministry of Pastor Herbert.
As we look back over the years, we are blessed. God has blessed us with over fifteen (15) active ministries, several Associate Ministers, all working for the Glory of God and the advancement of His Kingdom. We are truly grateful to God for keeping us for over 70 years of ministry!
1601 Rutland Avenue